Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Opportunity, Keys #2, and That Lion Again


"You've Always Had Those Keys Study #2" Click to Bid
ACEO 3.5 x 2.5 inches, acrylic on illustration board. Another compositional study.

This is my acrylic version of the one I did in watercolor previously. The colors and mood came out very different from the other. This is a circular compositon, you can see how her headgear and her neckline make the oval, and her face is a smaller oval within it. The pointy part of her headgear is a sort of a bird, and of course, the little cat sits in the background. The heart shaped locket is steely gray this time.
----

"Yes, It's Really There" Click to Bid

Acrylic on illustration board, 2.5 x 3.5 inches ACEO. Compositional study, with a cross shaped composition. This one is about an unbelievable opportunity that can be believed. The key is in metallic gold paint. It's done glazed, which means several transparent layers of color over a monochrome underpainting. I don't paint this way very often. I like the hunched over posture of the figure, because she doesn't quite believe that the opportunity is really presenting itself.
----


"Courage and Wisdom Caught Me Napping, REDUX" Click to Bid
Acrylic on illustration board, ACEO, 2.5 x 3.5 inches

I had been painting in oils for so long that I had forgotten that acrylics dry darker. This one seemed dark to me the first time around, so after some consideration I lightened it up, although it's still fairly dark and I like it that way (you have to do what the painting wants). I also made the U shape in the composition more definite.

----
This ends my "thumbnail" series of compositional studies, and I will resume painting at the normal size which is 5x7 -- 16 x 20. My normal paintings take longer, so the "several paintings in a week" will be slowed down. However, I should be able to paint faster now that I know more about composition--the time I took out to study composition has been well spent. Again, the book I studied from is "The Simple Secret to Better Painting" by Greg Albert. It's a keeper.

No comments: