Pages

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Iris Lady



Title: "Iris Lady"
Genre: Figure, portrait
Medium: Acrylic on Centurion linen panel
Size: 8x8 inches
©Theresa Taylor Bayer

This was an experiment with glazing. Every time I try glazing I end up concluding I like it in part, but not completely. I like to put down an alla prima composition, and then enhance it wth glaze or with scumbling. Acrylics layer beautifully, but it's always a question of doing it one's own way.

This was also an experiment with a new palette, and to see if I could wrestle that unruly cerulean blue into civility. Also a color I hadn't used in a long while: dioxazine purple. Both colors are extremely strong and can completely overwhelm the composition, so I had to be on my guard with them. The other colors are cadmium red light, yellow oxide, Matisse red light (cold and similar to napthol crimson) , burnt sienna, and ultramarine blue. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful painting. Colors blend very well with each others. I like the gentle contrast.

-Niina